Church of the Assumption

Burgas, Bulgaria

The Church of the Assumption in the town of Malko Tarnovo is situated in the town center. It was built in 1830 on site of an old church, dating-back to1754. In the the antiquity a Thracian sanctuary was built at same place.The church was built in typical local style with crushed stone. In its walls were built antique objects taken from the Roman and Thracian sanctuaries located around the town. The church has over 160 icons made by local craftsmen from Strandzha Painting School.