Kovachevitsa Architectural ReserveBlagoevgrad, Bulgaria
Village of Kovachevitsa is located in the southwestern part of Rhodope Mountains, along the Kanina river, about 24 km northeast of town of Gotse Delchev. The village existed since XV - XVI century but its architecture which is kept until today and attracts many visitors, dates to XVII - XIX centuries. The streets and the houses are built almost of stone. Only the top floors of the tallest buildings and parts of their terraces are wooden. The roof are made of slab-stones. The courtyards are surrounded by high stone walls with wooden gates.In Kovachevitsa can be seen many ancient buildings, including those of the Primitive school from 1830 and St. Nicholas Church (built in1848). In year of 1977 the village of Kovachevitsa was declared a national architectural reserve.