Medjidi Tabia fortress

Silistra, Bulgaria

The Medjidi Tabia fortress is located at hill south of town of Silistra. The fort is the best preserved of total six facilities of Ottoman fortification system used during Crimean War (1853 - 1856) and Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878). The fortress has hexagon form and reach 8m in high. It was built in period 1841 - 1853 based on plans of the German military engineer Helmuth von Moltke who designed also an other fort near town of Ruse - Levent Tabia . The name of the fortress come from the name of Sultan Abdul Medzhid who visited the facility in 1847.