Saint Dimitrios of Thessaloniki ChurchSilistra, Bulgaria
Church Saint Dimitrios of Thessaloniki in village of Garvan was built between 1876 and 1892 with donations of local residents. It has cruciform form (seen from a birds-eye view it has the form of a cross), with the highest part in the middle representing a dome-hemisphere. The building is constructed with limestone, which is susceptible to carving, and the separate stone blocks are cemented with quicklime. The walls are built with the same stone, in the form of a colonnade with sets of grids of wrought iron.The church has icons made by the icon-painter Georgi Staetsu. The royal icons are six – with the images of Jesus Christ, Madonna and Child, St. John the Precursor, St. Dimitrios of Thessaloniki, St. Michael the Archangel, and St. George. Underneath are to be found six icons with biblical scenes, moments of Our Lord Jesus Christ’s road to Golgotha. Above the royal icons, 12 little icons are placed with the images of the 12 apostles, and above them an icon depicting the Last Supper of Jesus Christ and his pupils is situated. Above all holly paintings is the Cross - Crucifix with the image of Jesus Christ. The church bell is made in a specialized factory in Sofia and is placed on a double-coned pylon-bell tower, right next to the church.